Monday, September 30, 2013

Scared Silly at the Bus Stop

I had quite an adventure today.  I rode the city bus for the first time.  Ever.  In my life.

Little Bit and I left our place at about 6 this morning.  The roads were dark.  Not a whole lot of lighting.  There were actually quite a few people out at 6 in the morning.  There were joggers, walkers, dog walkers, and of course lots of drivers.

So Little Bit and I are walking along the dark road to the bus stop, which was a little less than a mile from our place.  As I am walking, I hear quick foot steps coming my way, which of course puts me on edge.  It was just a runner in a bright orange jacket.  Then there is the sound of dog footsteps.  And of course his owner.  Every time I hear a noise, I'm like "whoa", "what's that", "don't hurt me", "ahhhh".  You should have been in my head.  I am sure it was hilarious.

So we finally make it the bus stop.  I am so focused on the soon to be arriving bus that I am not aware of what is to come.  I once again hear feet pounding in my direction.  When the woman in orange is less than 2 feet away from me, I practically screamed.  I think I scared the poor woman.  She stopped running.

"Are you okay?"  She asks.

In a whining voice I replied, "Yeah, I'm ok.  I am just really nervous because I have never ridden the bus before and I am a little scared and I am not sure of what to do."

The world stops for a few seconds with the next words out of her mouth.  "Would you like me to pray with you?"

I think I finally let the air out before I answered her.  "I would love that."

The bus ride was very smooth.  Well, I am not sure I would call it a smooth ride.  But there were no kinks in the bus ride.  Little Bit laid her head on my lap and curled up beside me.  People were friendly.  Well, some of them.  The others I am not sure of, but I think it was best to keep it that way.

Overall, I had a good experience on the bus.  I had nothing to be worried about.

Haha.  Yep.  Absolutely nothing.  Didn't God tell me that already?  He said in Matthew 6:34 to not worry about tomorrow because tomorrow can worry about itself.  And in John 14:27, Jesus said, "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give to you.  I do not give as the world gives.  Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."

Well.  I failed that test, huh?!

But the verse that really got me:  Proverbs 12:25, "An anxious heart weighs down a man, but a kind word cheers him up."  I was so anxious that I didn't even see the woman coming.  But not just her kind word, but her kind gesture cheered me up.  It took away my anxiety.  And she reminded me that God was still near even in my time of fear and anxiety.

God provided the right person at the right time to provide the right words and the right actions.  This is possible only By God's Amazing Grace.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What powerful evidence that God is near even when we're not thinking about Him. This was very encouraging to me! Thank you very much for sharing honestly!

    ReplyDelete