Saturday, August 29, 2020

The Nemesis

 I started my fourteenth year of teaching.  After all these years, you'd think I would be a pro when it comes to the first day of school.  I wouldn't have any nervousness and I'd be "cool" the whole time.  

Far from it.  I still have nightmares leading up to the first day.  Usually my class is rowdy and unmanageable.  The students refuse to listen.  I show up to school and slowly lose my clothing throughout the day.  Crazy dreams.  Thankfully none of them ever come true.  The morning of the first day, my stomach is in knots.  Forget butterflies.  I think I have dogs running around in there.  I play it cool on the outside, but inside is a battlefield.  Please tell me I'm not the only teacher who goes through this. 

I consider my first day of school my nemesis.  What is a nemesis? you may ask. It is a long-standing rival or an archenemy.  First day of school has been my rival since I was in kindergarten.  

I think about others who have or had a nemesis.  Eve and the Serpent.  Abel and Cain.  Joseph and his brothers.  David and Saul.  David and Goliath.  Daniel and the Persian princes.  Jesus and Satan.  There are so many in the Bible.  

Eve succumbed to her nemesis, hence the reason we are in this sinfilled world.  Abel succumbed to his as Cain killed him.  But the others mentioned?  They all overcame.  David ran for his life many times but was able to become king of the Israelites.  The giant fell when David trusted in God.  Daniel survived his trip to the lion's den despite the tactics of the Persians.  Jesus.  Praise the Lord!  Jesus overcame.  And now we too can overcome.  Herod tried to kill Him, Satan tried to tempt Him, the Jews tried to stone Him, the Jews tempted Him, and the Romans crucified Him because of the Jews.  But He overcame.  Death could not hold Him down.  He rose again! 

So yes, the first day of school is my nemesis.  But Jesus overcame so I am able to do the same.  He was victorious so I can be victorious!  I am sure one day I will let the dogs out!  One day not even butterflies will fill my stomach.  The nightmares will vanish.  I will overcome!  And so will you!  You can be like Jesus!  You can defeat your nemesis.  You can do it!  But only By God's Amazing Grace!




No comments:

Post a Comment