Thursday, August 1, 2013

Wild Goose Chase

Today was my first official day on the job.  And I was sent on a wild goose chase.  Let me explain.

We were divided up into teams of 3-4 members and sent to downtown to compete in a scavenger hunt.  Some of the tasks we had to complete were:

  • Ask a stranger to give one of us a piggy back ride
  • Thumb wrestle with a Police Officer
  • Sit in a Police Officer's car
  • Sing a sad country song to a crowd of people
  • Create a human pyramid

Just about everyone of the items on the list forced us to talk to strangers.  There were very few items that were introvert friendly.

If you met me, you wouldn't believe me, but I am shy.  Especially when in large groups.  I have opened up quite a bit over the years.  But I am also very competitive.  This is obvious.  So when it comes to winning a scavenger hunt or being shy, my competitiveness defeats my shyness.

So today I stepped out of my comfort zone and talked to many a stranger.  I asked people to do things I would probably not even ask my friends to do.  All in the name of bragging rights and a prize.  The more I did it, the easier it became.  

This made me think about another task I have been given in which I might have to talk to complete strangers.  Or even to people I know quite well.  I have been asked to be a witness.  I have been asked to share the Good News.  We are all commissioned to do this in Matthew 28:18-20--"And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, 'All power is given unto me in Heaven and in earth.  Go ye therefore and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of Holy Ghost:  Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world.  Amen.'"

Each of us are called to spread the Good News.  But we are not asked to do it by ourselves.  Just like I was sent out in a group to talk to complete strangers, God will be my group member.  He will go with me.  Just like I had to complete certain tasks, ask certain things, He will give me the words to say.  All I have to do is be a willing participant.  I just have to let Him speak through me.  I don't even have to use my own words.  God has given me HIS word.  I just have to allow Him to use me.  And the reward I get for letting Him do all the work through me...is much, much greater than the one I earned today.  I get to spend eternity with Him.  He is my prize.  

Sometimes we have to step out of our comfort zone to reach those around us.  Sometimes we have to talk to complete strangers.  And sometimes we have to talk to people much closer.  But we don't have to hid behind our own weaknesses.  God gives us the strength.  Don't let you being shy hold you back from spreading the Good News.  Don't let your fear of saying the wrong thing keep you from sharing the most important thing.  Don't let an excuse come between you and someone hearing about Jesus.  God can use you.  God can use me.  We just have to let Him.

We can share the Good News without fear, without barriers, without excuses Only By God's Amazing Grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment