Saturday, July 27, 2013

The Car Dilemma

We were driving home from a nice walk at a nature center today.  We were one exit away.  Less than three miles from home when I decided to exit early, pull into a parking lot, turn off the car, and just sit there.  Why?  You might ask.  Because I had a point to prove.

Sometimes we are on a journey.  We have a purpose, a destination, a goal.  But as humans, we also are very stubborn.  We want to do things OUR way.  Or we just don't feel like being on that journey any more.  And sometimes that means pulling off the highway, pulling into a parking lot, turning off the car, and just sitting there.  We no longer are moving towards our destination.  We have halted our journey. 

I had a choice to make while sitting in that parking lot.  I could try to push the car the rest of the way home.  I mean, I didn't feel like driving any more.  I could have gotten out of the car and tried with all my might to push the car three miles to our home.  That would cause me to exert quite a bit of effort.  Of course I would get some pretty good exercise, but it would take much longer to get home than if I had just turned the key and drove home.  

I could have also just refused to budge.  I could sit there for days.  I would get closer to my destination if I at least pushed the car.  But in this case, not only would I be the same distance away as when I stopped, I would stink, be hungry and cranky, and probably really tired since I can't sleep well in the car.  So that doesn't seem like a viable option.

I also could have turned on the car and drove in the opposite direction.  I could have decided that I didn't want to go home any more.  I would get further away from my destination.  I would be getting somewhere, but sometimes somewhere is no better than no where.  

And one more option that I could have chosen was to get out of the car and let The Hubs drive home.  He could have helped me finish my journey.  He could have made the sacrifice and drive the last three miles.  (I'm sure it wouldn't have been that much of a sacrifice.) And I would actually reach my destination.  I would have made it to my goal.  I would be going forward.

But I had a choice.  

It is the same in our relationship with God.  We have a destination, a goal.  Some goals are daily, some are long term.  One goal I have is to have a closer walk with God.  That one is daily.  I have to chose, daily, to get up and walk with Him.  There are days I will be on a stubborn streak and decide I just want to sit there and not move.  I don't want to walk.  But when I make this choice, my relationship with God doesn't get closer.  It starts to get stagnant.  My relationship with God starts to stink, in a way.  I then have to make a choice.  Whether I feel like it or not, I have to make a choice.  

I can sit there and not walk with God and let our relationship get stagnant.  I can get up and walk in the other direction, cause a rift in our relationship.  I can drag myself on the floor, but my journey will be quite the slow one.  Or I can just choose to walk. Whether I feel like it or not.  Because when I am walking with God, my perspective changes.  My mood increases.  My faith strengthens.  And soon, my feelings come back.  But feelings should not be the factor in my walk with God.  

So after a few minutes, I started the car back up and drove the last three miles home.  I decided my journey should end at home and the quickest way to get there was to drive.  I made a choice.  Not based on feelings.  But based on fact.  

My walk with God is a choice based not on feelings, but on faith only By God's Amazing Grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment