Friday, May 23, 2014

Puzzle Pieces of Life

In your down time, what do you like to do?

I love to take nature hikes, read fiction Christian novels, write, play with technology, or just play.  Of all the things I like to do, I do not like to put together puzzles.  

Growing up, I remember my grandmother sitting at the table for hours putting together thousand piece puzzles.  I would come over and watch over.  Every once in a while I would pick up a piece, put it where it belonged, then get up and walk away.  But I never enjoyed just sitting there putting a puzzle together.  

Even now, Little Bit loves putting puzzles together and I just watch her excitement as she finds the right piece to put in the right spot.  It is fun to watch her succeed.  But I am not interested in putting the puzzle together myself.  I think it has to do with the sitting part.  I have trouble doing that for long periods of time.

But I have put them together before.  I usually start with the edge pieces just cause those are a wee bit easier to put together.  After those are complete and I have my boundaries for the picture yet to be complete, I start filling in the middle.  And it gets frustrating.  I will try to a piece where I know it should go.  And it doesn't fit.  So I turn it and try again.  And it doesn't fit.  So I try to squash it into place.  But it still doesn't fit.  And I get frustrated.  I know that piece should go there.  I has to belong there.  All the colors match.  It must go there.  

But it doesn't.

When I finally get to the point where the puzzle is one piece shy of being complete, I hold that same piece in my hand that didn't fit where I knew it should belong.  And it fits in perfectly.  On the opposite site of the puzzle.  Went in smoothly.  I didn't have to force it.  I didn't have to twist or turn it.  I just laid it down and it went right in.  A perfect match.

How many times in life are we like that?  We try to put a piece of our life in a specific spot.  But it doesn't fit. We twist it.  We turn it.  We try to squash it in.  But it doesn't fit because it doesn't go there.  But then we let it go.  We give it to God.  All the other pieces go in nicely.  It is just that one.  We try to force our will on the situation.  But once we let it go, His will takes over and all the pieces of our life fit together like they are supposed to.  

Did I say our life would be perfect?  No.  Not even close.  But our life will be aligned with the will of God.  And then things will begin to fall into place. 

I've been doing this lately.  I have been trying to force my will, my plans, my ideas, my goals into the spot I believed it had to go.  I have this idea as to what my life should look like and where I should be.  I have a picture in my head that the finished product should look like and the picture is not coming together.  The pieces are not fitting together.  At all.  The picture has been incomplete because I keep trying to put the pieces where I think they should go instead of allowing God to put them where they belong.  In His time.

Last week, I finally let go.  I put the puzzle pieces down.  I allowed God to put them where they belong.  Starting Monday, He began to put the pieces in the right spots.  The puzzle is coming together nicely.  It is not complete, but God is putting them where they go in His time.

Was it easy letting go of the pieces and allowing God to take control?  No, because as you know, I am a control freak.  I think things should be done in a certain time in a certain way.  But do I feel better now that I have allowed God to take over?  You have no idea.  God knew all along how the pieces would fit together.  I hadn't a clue. I need to learn to allow Him to put the pieces where they belong instead of forcing them into places I think they should go.  It relieves so much stress.  Let's just say, I had an amazing night's sleep last night due to the fact that it was His doing that the pieces fell into place.  Not mine.

But this puzzle is still being worked on as we speak.  The last piece will go in when I take my final breath.  And at that time, I believe the puzzle will create a beautiful picture.  But this is possible only By God's Amazing Grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment