Monday, July 6, 2020

Reflect His Image

When I look in the mirror, you know who I see?  I know, you'd never believe it, but I see my reflection.  I see me.  But that is the problem.  I don't want to see me when I look at my reflection.  I don't want to see my imperfections of character: my stubbornness, over sensitiveness, sarcasm, self-consciousness, insecurities.  I want to see my Father.  

No, not my earthly father, but my Father in Heaven.  I want to see His reflection in me.  I want to reflect His character, not mine.  

What is His character, you might ask?

God is good.  A rich young ruler called Jesus "Good master" in Luke 18:18.  Jesus responds with, "Why callest thou me good? none is good, save one, that is, God."

God is love.  1 John 4:8, "He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love." and 1 John 3:1, "Behold what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God; therfore the world knoweth us not, becasue it knew Him not."

God is just. In Deuteronomy 32:4, Moses is speaking to the Israelites.  He tells them that God is "a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right He is."

God is pure.  1 John 3:3 states, "every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as He is pure."

God is righteous.  The psalmist tells us that The Lord is righteous in all His ways and holy in all His works.  Psalm 145:17

God is caring.  God even cares for the birds of the air.  Matthew 6:26

God is kind.  Ephesians 2:8, "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God."

God is gracious and merciful.  The psalmist tells us in Psalm 116:5 that God is gracious, righteous, and merciful.

God is forgiving.  "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."1 John 1:9

God is faithful.  Lamentations 3:22-23, Jeremiah tells us, "it is of the Lord's mercies that we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not.  They are new every morning; great is they faithfulness."

God is compassionate.  Psalm 103:8 tells us that God is merciful and gracious, but also slow to anger and plentious mercy.

These are all characteristics I strive for.  I want to reflect His image.  I am made in His image according to Genesis 1:26. He got down on His hands and knees to create mankind.  He spoke everything else into existence, but He formed man and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life.  When my husband got down on his knee to ask me to marry him, I knew I was special.  But when I realized that God did that to create mankind, I knew we were all special.  He made us to reflect His image, His character. 

Today is a special day.  It is Father's day.  As you celebrate your fathers, husbands, neighbors, remember the Greatest Father Ever.  Remember the One whose image you are created in.  Remember God.  He is the best father anyone could ever ask for.  He is love, just, pure, righteous, caring, kind, gracious, merciful, forgiving, faithful, compassionate, and so much more.  

And fathers, follow the best example given.  Our Father in Heaven will lead you and guide you.  He will show you how to be a great father.  Reflect His image.  Look in the mirror.  Who do you see?  You can see Him.  It is possible only By God's Amazing Grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment