Monday, August 16, 2021

Knock

 The Hubs was standing in the backyard tending to our dog. The back door was closed. As I was in the living room I hear the back door rattling. But it wasn’t opening. I was confused as to what was going on. Then I hear him knocking on the door. I noticed that the door was unlocked, so I was confused as to why the Hubs couldn’t open the door. I turn the door knob, but nothing. The door knob barely moved. The latch wouldn’t move. He was trying. I was trying. But nothing.  Either one of us could get the door open. I kept praying, but there was no change. 

There are many times we face situations where we pray and ask God to open doors for us. We ask for His will to be done. And we come to doors that close out of nowhere. 


Many times the Hubs and I have prayed, “God, open doors that should be open and close doors that should not be open.” We especially did that when we were looking for a house. That is a pretty important decision. We asked God to lead and guide us in our house search. There was this one house we really wanted. We prayed over this house asking God if it was God’s will that He would enable us to make an offer they couldn’t refuse. Yet God did not open that door for us. He closed so many doors in the house search process. And we have found out it was for the best. 


About ten years ago, we were looking for a place to live. We prayed to God asking Him to open the door to where He wanted us to live and close all the other doors. After we said amen, we walked up to the office door. We reached for the door knob and low and behold the door was locked. God literally closed that door. 


Sometimes God works literally and sometimes He works more figuratively. 


Matthew 7-8 and verse 11 says, “Ask, and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in Heaven give good things to those who ask Him!” 


But here is the thing. It must go along with God’s will. If I ask for an Audi S8, I’m probably not going to get it. But if I ask God for a working car, that is more likely. It won’t be an Audi. Even though that is my desire. God says to “Delight yourself also in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your ways to the Lord, trust also in Him, and He shall bring it to pass. Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for Him; do not fret because of him who prospers in his way, because of the man who brings wicked schemes to pass.” Psalm 37:5-7. 


So an Audi may be my desire, but it is not according to His will. If I delight myself in God, my desires will be His desires. 


What are you asking God for? What doors are you asking God to open or close? 


Is it for a job? A new house? A car? College or even Major? Or to literally open the back door of your house? Pray. Ask. Seek. Knock. Remember that God’s timing is perfect and His wisdom is beyond measure. Instead of opening the door, God gave me the idea to unscrew the door knob. We had to break off the latch. Funny thing is God lead us to buy a new lock for a different door about a month ago. He prepared us for this moment. God opened our door in a way we didn’t expect. 


Expect the unexpected when it comes to God’s answers to your prayers. Even if you haven’t received the answer to your prayer, keep seeking, keep asking, keep knocking. God will open the right door when it is according to His will. This is possible only By God’s Amazing Grace. 




No comments:

Post a Comment