Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Fear Versus Respect


I am absolutely terrified of water.  Not just any water.  I can handle swimming pools as long as there is a solid concrete bottom, clear, clean water, and I have friends to swim with.  I have to be able to see where I am going.  I cannot swim in lakes, oceans, rivers, or ponds.  Not only can I not see through the water, but there is definitely not a solid foundation.  It has little to do with the fact that I have no idea what else in the water.  But it is not just that.  There are other factors. 

The summer before the Hubs and I got married, I worked at a church camp.  One of the requirements was to pass a swimming test.  The problem, the swimming pool was a lake.  I was terrified out of my mind.  I jumped in the water and was out of it in less than 10 seconds.  Well, it seemed that way, at least.  I never swam so fast in my life.

About a year before that, I went camping with a youth group at church.  One of the guys took his boat with him.  I remember everyone trying to persuade me that getting on the boat would be no big deal.  Ha ha.  Yeah.  Sure.  As I was walking towards the boat and I looked into the water, the tears began welling up in my eyes.  I literally started crying.  Seriously?  It was just a boat, right? Not like I had to even get IN the water.  I know.  But it really is that bad. 

But like I said, I am terrified of water.  I have a fear of it. 

The Bible actually tells us to fear God.  It is mentioned 45 times.  But this fear is completely different than my fear of water.  In this context, it actually means to have respect, reverence, or piety.  It does not mean to be afraid of.  It means to respect God.  For example, in Ecclesiastes 12:13 it says, “Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep His commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.”  We can go back and replace the word “fear” with its definition “respect”.  “Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: [Respect] God, and keep His commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.”  If we respect God, we will keep His commandments.  And if we replace fear with respect in Revelation 14:7, it will say, “saying with a loud voice, [respect] God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship Him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.

It is not about fear.  It is about respect.  Why would God tell us to “fear not” 63 times and “do not be afraid” 7 if He wanted us to be afraid of Him.  He doesn't want us to be afraid of Him.  He wants us to show Him respect.  He wants us have reverence towards Him.  When I come to God, I am not terrified.  I don’t cry out in fear when I get close to Him.  I don’t rush through my devotionals with Him.  I enjoy my time with God.  I enjoy praying to Him, reading the Bible, and even talking about Him.  These are pleasurable moments, not moments of fear. 

When someone asks you, “Why do you serve a God who says to fear Him?”  Remember, it is not fear He is asking for.  He is asking for respect and reverence.  He is not asking us to be afraid of Him.  God is our Creator (Genesis 1:1).  He is our Friend (John 15:15).  He is our Teacher (John 7:14).  He is our Healer (Matthew 4:23-24).  He is our Law Maker/Giver (Exodus 20).  The people that fill these positions today receive great respect.  Or I should say, they deserve great respect.  If mankind receives respect in their sinfulness, shouldn't God receive respect in His perfection? 

1 John 4:8 says, “He who does not love does not know God, for God is love.” And 1 John 4:18 says, “There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love.”  So if God is love and there is not fear in love, then how are we supposed to fear Him who is Love?  We aren't.  His love is perfect.  There is no fear.

When you come to God, don’t come in fear.  Come in love.  Come with respect.  Reverence Him.  This is possible because of God’s Amazing Grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment