Tuesday, February 12, 2013

He will Give you Rest

Burdens are heavy.

Have you ever tried to lug a burden up the stairs or down the street?  Those things are full of dead weight.  It is like carrying a boulder around the corner.  You can't shift the weight of the burden to make it lighter.  
And it doesn't seem to matter how heavy my burden gets, I can't let go of it.  I can't put it down.

You would think I would have asked for help carrying my burden.  That would lighten the load.  But I see others carrying their burdens around, too.  Why would anyone want to carry any part of my burden?
And don't you dare try to trade me your burden for mine.  Nu-huh.  Not going to happen.  I don't want to learn how to carry your burden.  I am comfortable with mine now.  

You know what would be nice?  If someone just offered to take my burden.  Not trade it.  Just take it.  Not for just a minute or a month.  But forever.  If someone would offer to take my burden so that I never have to carry it around ever again.  That would be awesome!
But who in their right mind would offer to take my burden?  Who would be willing to relieve me of the pain and stress of carrying that thing around?  That is such a crazy idea.  Such sophomoric thinking.

But is it really?
There is Someone who has already offered to do this.  He has asked me many times to give my burden to Him.  He has asked if He could take care of the problem.  So why have I refused His offer?  Why didn't I just say "Here you go. It's all yours!"?  Am I really that stubborn?

In Matthew 11:28-30, Jesus says "Come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden, I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me, for I am meek and lowly of heart: and ye shall find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

Wow!  "all ye that labor and are heavy laden"?  He is calling me!  He wants to give me rest!
And He wants to do the same for you!  He is not just calling me, He is calling you as well!  He can take your burden.  He can give you rest. 

In Desire of Ages, page 330, Ellen G. White says, "There are many whose hearts are aching under a load of care because they seek to reach the world's standard. They have chosen its service, accepted its perplexities, adopted its customs. Thus their character is marred, and their life made a weariness. In order to gratify ambition and worldly desires, they wound the conscience, and bring upon themselves an additional burden of remorse. The continual worry is wearing out the life forces. Our Lord desires them to lay aside this yoke of bondage. He invites them to accept His yoke; He says, "My yoke is easy, and My burden is light." He bids them seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and His promise is that all things needful to them for this life shall be added. Worry is blind, and cannot discern the future; but Jesus sees the end from the beginning. In every difficulty He has His way prepared to bring relief. Our heavenly Father has a thousand ways to provide for us, of which we know nothing. Those who accept the one principle of making the service and honor of God supreme will find perplexities vanish, and a plain path before their feet."

Let us come to Jesus.  Let us give Him our burden.  Let us find rest, His rest, His peace.  Only then can we break free from the bondage of our burdens.  
We receive this rest, this peace, only By God's Amazing Grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment