Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Learn with Desire


Standing in front of a classroom of adolescents, I find myself torn.  There is a group of young people that are eager to learn, to gain knowledge.  Then there is a small group of teenagers that are there because their parents kicked them out the door that morning and sent them to school.  And there is even a small handful of children that are there to act as the hurricane of the classroom.  They pull all the attention off the teacher, away from the learners, and put it all on themselves.  They are the ones that are cracking jokes, that aren’t even funny, by the way.  They are the ones yelling out unwarranted information.  They are the reason super glue was invented.  They don’t even want to be there.  They are not interested in getting an education.  It is on the very bottom of their list.  Scratch that.  It isn’t even on their list.  This small handful of children make the day torturous for the teacher and for those interested in obtaining a good education.


I want all of the students to want to be there.  I want each one to have an opportunity at success.  I want every one of them to desire the knowledge I have to share.  I know, I know, I am dreaming.  But it would be amazing to teach in a classroom where everyone who entered my door had a desire to be there and to learn.  I want to teach you because you want to learn.  I want there to be a mutual feeling about their education.  I want to aid in providing you with the best education and I want you to want it.


How amazing it would be if everyone came into my classroom of their own free will?  If each person that walked through my door, walked in by their own choosing.  Not because their parent’s made them come.  Not because they wanted to have all the attention.  But because they honestly wanted an education and they wanted to be there.  I know, dreaming again.  But seriously.  Not only would my job be a breeze, but there would be so much peace and happiness and learning.  Lots and lots of learning.  It would be like Heaven on earth.


That is what Heaven will be like.  When Jesus comes to take us home, only people that will be happy in Heaven will go.  There will not be people that were forced to go.  There will not be people that want to cause problems. Only people that could actually be happy will be there.  Heaven will be such a peaceful place. 


In Steps to Christ, Chapter 2, page 17 and 18, E. G. White writes “In his sinless state, man held joyful communion with Him "in whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge." Colossians 2:3. But after his sin, he could no longer find joy in holiness, and he sought to hide from the presence of God. Such is still the condition of the unrenewed heart. It is not in harmony with God, and finds no joy in communion with Him. The sinner could not be happy in God's presence; he would shrink from the companionship of holy beings. Could he be permitted to enter heaven, it would have no joy for him. The spirit of unselfish love that reigns there --every heart responding to the heart of Infinite Love --would touch no answering chord in his soul. His thoughts, his interests, his motives, would be alien to those that actuate the sinless dwellers there. He would be a discordant note in the melody of heaven. Heaven would be to him a place of torture; he would long to be hidden from Him who is its light, and the center of its joy. It is no arbitrary decree on the part of God that excludes the wicked from heaven; they are shut out by their own unfitness for its companionship. The glory of God would be to them a consuming fire. They would welcome destruction, that they might be hidden from the face of Him who died to redeem them.”


In Revelation 22:14 and 17, 14John writes “Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city. 17And the Spirit and the bride say, “Come!” And let him who hears say, “Come!” And let him who thirsts come. Whoever desires, let him take the water of life freely."


I desire to be there in Heaven.  I desire to set foot in the New Jerusalem.  I yearn for the day I can walk through the pearly gates.  One day I will meet Jesus in the air. 


How about you?  Do you yearn for that day?  Do you desire to sit at Jesus feet?  Watch the lion and the lamb lay together?  Do you look forward to that day described by John in Revelation 21:4, “And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away.”?  I do.


One day.  Only By God’s Amazing Grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment